Thursday 13 December 2007

Venezuelan Wonders






I did not particularly like Venezuela. The people were not friendly as in Colombia, there seemed to be something "wrong" and there was a real edginess as darkness fell. There is a lot to see in Venezuela but I had done my tropical coast thing in Colombia, and perhaps I was "Andes" out. So from the border I headed via two overnight buses, one daytime collectivo and one day time bus, to Ciudad Bolivar.

Changng bus stations in the capital Caracus meant taking to the metro, where I got chatting to a local businessman. His advice was t be very careful in his country, "anybody who can is leaving!". Great! Ciudad Bolivar, on the banks of the Orinoco river, was a dirty shabby town, and once dark, totally dead and creepy. No latin spirit here, no dancing in the steets til dawn! This is the entreport for trips to Cainaima national park and Angel Falls.

To get there you must fly in small light aircraft, there are no roads punturing this remote area. So sitting up front I was amazed to view from the area the flat topped tepuy, classic to this region, and the waterfalls near the village and airstrip.

Quite stunning.