Wednesday 28 February 2007

Planet Earth




Isn't Google Earth just about the best piece of software you can slap onto your hard drive? Got my broadband connection back now, so I can go zooming around the planet once again. A favourite fly by is through the volcanoes of the high Andean Altiplano.

See that white area in the central west of the South American continent. That's the Salar De Uyuni in southern Bolivia (an area I'll explore with Sam in August). Have a tour of the snow capped stratovolcanoes there. Surely one of the best landscapes on our Earth. This is where Lauca and Isluga national parks are. Still no firm clues as to how to do these parks off the Lonely Planet forum, but reckon I'll start from Arica in northern Chile (as there is a memorial plaque to one of Sam's ancestors there, who died whilst building the railway from Bolivia to Chile).

Today is the 40th birthday of my brother Paul. Happy birthday Paul Culley!